The Vision 2020 Strategic Plan, developed by the NAD Board of Directors, was introduced to delegates at the 50th Biennial NAD Conference in Philadelphia, PA. This document serves as a blueprint for action between now and the year 2020.
We believe it is the right of every deaf and hard of hearing person to acquire and express themselves in American Sign Language and English.
We must change the society’s perception of people who use ASL to one that recognizes us as a unique community with our own language and culture.
We believe that society must accept our organization as an integral part in any decision-making process that influences any deaf and hard of hearing person.
We are committed to responsible resource allocation through optimal use of our people, time and money in the pursuit of our mission, vision, and values.
Goal 1. By 2020, NAD will ensure ASL is a birthright of every deaf and hard of hearing person.
- Objective 1.1. Ensure that ASL and English is part of every baby’s learning, regardless of hearing level.
- Objective 1.2. Promote ASL in every educational program with deaf and hard of hearing children.
- Objective 1.3. Protect every individual’s right to visual communication in the U.S.
Goal 2. By 2020, NAD’s structure will value and incorporate community views as the community’s leading advocacy organization.
- Objective 2.1. Establish priority-setting mechanism focused on translating conference priorities into strategies that fit closely with the organizational mission.
- Objective 2.2. Implement diversity best practices at all levels.