2014 YLC Camper Information
Interested in becoming a 2014 YLC camper? Apply today!
What You Need to Do:
2. Prepare Your Essay, Video Essay, and Resume.
3. Have Your Three References Complete the Letter of Recommendation
4. Complete the Online Camper Application ($50.00 fee)
Camp session: July 21 - August 17, 2014
NAD YLC Fees
The total fee for the 2014 NAD Youth Leadership Camp (YLC) session, not including airfare, is $1,850. This includes the following:
• $1,800 camp fee. First portion ($800) due by April 4, 2014, second portion ($500) due by April 18, 2014, and third portion ($500) due by May 9, 2014; do not submit until you receive the acceptance letter;
• $50 application fee (applicants who do not get accepted will be refunded), due March 7, 2014, submit with application;
• Ground transportation (i.e., to/from airport, bus, or train station; field trips; weekly laundromat visits);
• One (1) NAD YLC T-shirt; and
• One (1) NAD YLC group photograph.
All NAD YLC campers should meet the following expectations:
After receiving a letter of acceptance, campers must complete the following:
All applicants are required to submit:
Students who meet the above expectations will submit a typed essay and a video essay, which must include answers to the following questions:
Essay Questions -
1. What are the qualities of a proactive leader?
2. If someone rented a billboard for you, what woud you put on it and why?
The typed essay must be half-page per question (single spaced and 12 pt font) and should be written by the applicant without assistance from others.
Please create your essay in a Microsoft Word document and save it as YLC_Essay_LastName _FirstName. (ex. YLC_Essay_Rice_Allie). The online application will have a section for you to attach your document.
Please do not forget to answer the question in your essay and put your full name at the top of your essay.
Video Essay Questions -
The video essay should be, at least, one and half minutes and up to two minutes long.
1. What has motivated you to apply for NAD YLC?
2. How do you think you will benefit from the experience?
Attach and send the video via email to email@example.com. If you are unable to attach the video via email, you can send it via YouTube (youtube.com) and send a link via firstname.lastname@example.org. Another option, send a DVD/CD copy of the video to -
8630 Fenton Street, Suite 820
Silver Spring, MD 20910
If you need assistance, please do not hesitate and contact us at email@example.com.
Students are also required to submit a resume, which should contain a few paragraphs that describe your leadership experiences. These experiences should be revolved around your involvement in school activites or community events you have participated in.
Please save your resume on the same document as your essay.
Letters of Recommendation
Camper applicants need to provide three (3) letters of reccommendations, one from each of the following:
1. School administrator (ex: Superintendent, Principal, Assistant Principal)
2. Teacher, and
3. Junior NAD advisor or School Counselor
These three people must complete the Letter of Recommendation.
The last step is to complete the Online Camper Application. Students will not be considered if we do not receive all information requested (Essay, Video Essay, Resume, Letters of Recommendation). Camper application deadline is March 7, 2014. We will send you an email to inform you about the status of your application. If you are accepted as a 2014 YLC camper, we will send you a packet with more information.
We look forward to receiving your camper application!