In line with NAD’s Mission, Deaf Business Advocate will advocate for and promote the development of deaf-owned businesses.
The languages, cultures, and heritage of Deaf, DeafBlind, and Hard of Hearing business owners will be acknowledged and respected in the pursuit of life, liberty and equality. DBA’s vision is to:
- SERVE as a community voice for deaf-owned businesses
- ADVOCATE for the creation of a firm economic base supporting deaf-owned businesses
- CREATE financial opportunities for the growth and stability of deaf-owned businesses
- PROMOTE development and support of minority businesses through greater access to market opportunities and capital
- FOSTER entrepreneurial development through workshops and trainings
- COLLABORATE with coalitions supporting public recognition and political influence among deaf business owners.
- WORK with NAD and its State Associations and Affiliates to support business development among Deaf, DeafBlind, and Hard of Hearing individuals.
- MONITOR pending legislation that may affect business ownership, business growth, and business activities.
DBA Section is using “deaf” in an all-inclusive manner, to include people who may identify as Deaf, deaf, Deafblind, deaf-disabled, hard of hearing, late-deafened, and hearing impaired. DBArecognizes that for many individuals, identity is fluid and can change over time or with setting. DBA has chosen to use one term “deaf” with the goal of recognizing experiences that are shared by all members of our diverse communities while also honoring all our differences. DBA shall strive to be inclusive of all deaf members to enable them to fully participate in this Section by providing, with assistance from NAD if needed, any accommodations for members who makes such request for accommodation.
If you are a prospective or current business owner, or if you are not a business owner and are interested in being a part of this section, you are welcome to join in the DBA section just for $5! Feel free to review the DBA-NAD Section Guidelines.
Jason Shaw, DBA Chair