Camp dates: July 19 to August 16, 2018
- Camper Application Form by February 2, 2018
- Camper Reference Form by February 2, 2018
- Camper Video Essay by February 2, 2018
The total fee for the 2018 NAD Youth Leadership Camp (YLC) session, not including airfare, is $2,600. This includes the following:
- $50 application fee (applicants who do not get accepted will get a refund);
- First portion ($1,000) due by March 31, 2018, second portion ($775) due by April 21, 2018, and third portion ($775) due by June 16, 2018; do not pay until you receive the acceptance letter;
- Ground transportation (i.e., to/from airport, bus, or train station; field trips; weekly laundromat visits);
- One (1) NAD YLC T-shirt; and
- One (1) NAD YLC group photograph.
2018 YLC Required Forms (for accepted campers only), coming soon:
- Medical Release and Consent
- Tuition Payment
All NAD YLC campers should meet the following expectations:
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL)
- High school sophomores and juniors (going to be a junior or senior)
- Demonstrated leadership qualities
All applicants are required to submit:
- Typed Essay
- Video Essay
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendations
After receiving a letter of acceptance, campers must complete the following:
- Provide a photocopy of both sides of the health insurance card
- Complete and submit a health history form signed by a physician
- Sign and return medical release, liability agreement, and publicity release forms
- Complete any other required forms.
Campers must complete the online Camper application. Applicants will not be considered if we do not receive all information requested (Essay, Video Essay, Resume, Letters of Recommendation). The deadline is February 2, 2018. We will send you an email to inform you about the status of your application. If you are accepted as a 2018 YLC camper, we will contact you with more information.
Students who meet the above expectations will submit a typed essay and a video essay, which must include answers to the following questions:
- Typed Essay; it must have your full name on the top, must be half-page per question, single spaced with 12 pt font, should be written by the applicant without assistance from others, saved as a Microsoft Word document with the filename: YLC_Essay_LastName _FirstName. (ex. YLC_Essay_Rice_Allie). The online application will have a section for you to attach your essay. The essay must answer both questions:
- What is the meaning of the statement, “leadership is a relationship”? Share one example.
- What advice would you give to younger students about middle school or high school?
- Video Essay Questions; applicants need to submit a 1.5 – 2 minute video answering two questions:
- What has motivated you to apply for NAD YLC?
- How do you think you will benefit from the experience?
Students are also required to submit a resume, which should contain a few paragraphs that describe your leadership experiences. These experiences should be revolved around your involvement in school activites or community events you have participated in. Please include your resume as a separate document from your essay.
Letters of Recommendation
Camper applicants need to provide three (3) letters of recommendations, one each of the following:
- School administrator (ex: Principal, Assistant Principal, Dean of Student Life, Residential Supervisor)
- Junior NAD advisor or School Counselor
** We look forward to receiving your camper application! **
If you need assistance, please do not hesitate and contact us at [email protected].