Filing Closed Captioning Complaints

When you see a television program that has no captions, missing captions, delayed captions, captions that are garbled, displayed too fast, or unreadable, you can file a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission.

You should include in your complaint:

  • Your name, address, and contact information;
  • The name of the program you tried to watch;
  • The date and time you tried to watch the program;
  • The network/channel you were watching; and
  • A description of the closed captioning problem.

You have several options for how to file your complaint:

Federal Communications Commission
Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554

For more information, please review the FCC closed captioning guide.