Fair Housing Act

If you are buying or selling a home, learn about your right to communication access with real estate agents, bankers, mortgage brokers, and others involved in the sale and purchase of real estate.  Your right to communication access is secured under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

If you rent an apartment or other kind of home, or if you are a condominium owner or belong to a homeowners’ association, you have rights provided by the Fair Housing Act.  The Fair Housing Act prohibits landlords, condominium management companies, and homeowners’ associations from discrimination based on disability.

The Fair Housing Act also includes responsibilities of landlords and building owners.

Complaints about Housing Discrimination

Complaints about housing discrimination under federal law can be filed with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).  To contact HUD or to find the name of the closest regional HUD office, go tohttp://www.hud.gov/complaints/housediscrim.cfm or call 1-800-669-9777.  You may also file a lawsuit in state or federal court.